Maplescombe is an ancient hamlet lying in Knatts Valley near Farningham.
The latest thought on its Anglo-Saxon name is that is comes from maple tree
+ camp, the latter word being associated with the margin between Roman
estates, rather than from 'combe' or valley. This meaning might be borne
out by the Domesday Book of 1086 which recorded that Maplescombe was roughly
divided into two, each part being held by a separate person. Wadard and
Ansgot held the land from Bishop Odo.
The ruins of the Anglo-Saxon church
lie in a field off an ancient trackway - the parish being united to West
Kingsdown in 1638. The present hamlet of Maplescombe lies near Maplescombe
Farm, for many years farmed by the Rogers family, who in the 1890s inherited
nearby Court Lodge Farm, Horton Kirby. The two farms were run as one unit
until Maplescombe was sold in 1930 during a period of Agricultural
An elaborate brochure of the time contains details of a proposed Maplescombe 'model village', but nothing came of this and later Green Belt policies precluded any large scale development in open fields.